Actor Gary Sinise, known for his iconic role as Lieutenant Dan in the movie “Forrest Gump,” is grieving the passing of his son. Mac Sinise, who bravely fought a long battle with cancer, sadly succumbed to the disease on January 5, 2024, at the age of 33.

Mac was diagnosed with a rare form of cancer called Chordoma in 2018. Chordoma originates in the spine and affects only about 300 individuals in the United States each year.

Gary Sinise explained that approximately 70% of those diagnosed with Chordoma can be cured through tumor removal surgery. However, for the remaining 30%, cancer tends to return.

After Mac underwent surgery to remove the tumor in 2018, the cancer made a comeback the following year. Gary shared, “This marked the beginning of a long battle that gradually took its toll on him.”

Despite his grueling battle with cancer, Mac continued to pursue his passion for music for as long as he could. He had graduated from the USC Thornton School of Music and, in 2023, he made the decision to complete a song he had started writing during his college days.

Even though he was paralyzed from the chest down and unable to play his beloved instruments, such as the drums and piano, Mac used an iPad to finish writing the song, titled “Arctic Circles,” from his hospital bed.

The completion and recording of this song marked the finalization of an entire album called “Resurrection & Revival.” Tragically, Mac passed away the same week the album was sent for printing.

As December 30, 2023 approached, Mac’s condition worsened. Gary rushed him to the emergency room as he struggled to breathe. Sadly, Mac never returned home.

On January 5th, surrounded by his loved ones, he peacefully let go. Gary wrote, “His battle with Chordoma had come to an end, and he has finally found peace.”

The Sinise family is devastated by the loss of their beloved son. Gary expressed, “Losing a child is an unimaginable pain. Our hearts go out to all who have experienced a similar loss, and to those who have lost loved ones.”

Reflecting on the five and a half years of their family’s cancer fight, Gary wrote, “As time went on, the battle became increasingly challenging. Although our hearts ache with his absence, we find solace in knowing that Mac is no longer suffering.

We are inspired by his resilience and determination. He fought an uphill battle against an incurable cancer, but he never gave up.” Gary added, “I am incredibly blessed, grateful, and proud to be his father.”

To learn more about this heartbreaking news and hear Gary Sinise’s heartfelt thoughts and memories of his son, watch the video below.