Extra Virgin Olive Oil: Benefits of Drinking a Spoonful on an Empty Stomach
Extra virgin olive oil is an excellent source of healthy fats and valuable nutrients for our health.
However, you might not have thought about drinking it on an empty stomach. According to specialists from BrightSide, this habit brings numerous health benefits. Here are the main reasons to drink a spoonful of olive oil on an empty stomach:
1. Good for the Colon: Drinking a spoonful of olive oil on an empty stomach can protect the cells from changes that could lead to cancer. It also has healing properties for the colon, making it an excellent remedy for those suffering from constipation.
2. Beneficial for Skin, Hair, Nails, and Bones: This habit has a positive effect on nails, skin, and hair, restoring their healthy appearance. Olive oil is a well-known ingredient in hair and facial masks, but it’s even more effective when taken internally.
3. Liver Detox: Drinking olive oil on an empty stomach ensures that all internal organs function normally and eliminate toxins. It’s particularly beneficial for the liver, as it stimulates detoxification. For better results, mix 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil with the juice of a quarter of a lemon and consume it in the morning on an empty stomach.
4. Aids in Weight Loss: Olive oil contains a high amount of omega-3 fatty acids, the good fats that promote satiety and are crucial for overall health. Studies also show that when aiming to lose weight, it’s essential to consume healthy fats as they boost metabolism. Olive oil can be a good substitute for butter, which is calorie-rich and not recommended for weight loss.
5. Strengthens the Immune System: Healthy fats are responsible for this beneficial effect on the immune system. Consuming a spoonful of olive oil on an empty stomach daily brings many benefits to the immune system.
6. Heart Protection: There are two types of cholesterol: the good (HDL) and the bad (LDL). Olive oil is rich in healthy fats that increase the levels of good cholesterol, thereby protecting your heart from severe diseases. Include olive oil in your diet along with a balanced diet of whole grains, vegetables, and fruits to safeguard your cardiovascular system.
7. Reduces Inflammation: Olive oil is one of the best remedies with anti-inflammatory effects in the body. Hence, it’s another reason to drink olive oil on an empty stomach.
8. Regulates Blood Sugar: Research shows that olive oil lowers bad cholesterol and blood sugar levels. This effect is beneficial for people with diabetes.
9. Brain Protection: Due to its contents, extra virgin or cold-pressed olive oil protects the brain from severe diseases such as Alzheimer’s, reduces the risk of depression, and improves memory.